Can new chicks use the watering cups?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CraftyChicky, Apr 1, 2012.

1. CraftyChicky

CraftyChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Georgia
    Hi! I will be getting my chicks in a few weeks and am trying to get everything ready for them. I have ordered the watering cups, but am now wondering if the baby chicks will be able to reach over and activate the lever. Has anyone used the watering cups for new chicks?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Not sure what these watering cups are, but I use chick waterers, which is a plastic container that screws onto a red base. If you're getting bantam chicks, it's a good idea to put marbles in the water tray, so they can't get in there and drown.

Large Fowl chicks don't usually drown in the waterer. The chick waterers can be found at the farm store, like TSC or Agland.....

Sharon

3. CraftyChicky

Mar 17, 2012
    Georgia
    Thank you so much, Sharon for the chick watering advice. The little watering cups are found at beaktime.com or on e-bay.
    this picture came from beaktime.com. See the little red watering cups. I'm just wondering if the little baby chicks can reach over the edge and peck at the little yellow lever to allow the water to flow. Sharon, I am going to take your advice and use the little chickie waterer with the marbles, and hold off on the cup waterers til they are a little bigger.

4. CraftyChicky

Mar 17, 2012
    Georgia
    Oops, I thought I had inserted a picture there, but it didn't show up. Anyway, look on beaktime.com for watering cups, or on ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by