1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can non-meaters eat high protine food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by L&Schickens, Jul 4, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have my eggers in with my meaters now and they are 2 weeks old. I will be starting the meaters on high protein rations soon but don't want to separate all my chicks if I don't have to. How will the non-meat birds do on the high protein feed?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I'm thinkin' your needin' to separate them... [​IMG]

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    To much protien will cause them to mature to young. The pullets could start to lay small eggs and they stay small for months.

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    If all it does is cause small eggs, then I will not separate them. I don't have the cage space. I have 4 large cages (One is almost finished) and these chicks need to go out side. They can't go in with any of my adult birds because they will be killed. So I will put them out with a heat lamp as soon as we get the new one done.
    Thanks for the help.
    Also, should an adult meat bird go off of high protein if I decide to use it as a breeding bird and not eat it?

5. coondog74017

coondog74017 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    The chickens raised on high protien feed to gain a pound or so a week and dressed out at 6 weeks don't live long if you turn them out in the chicken pen all the ones that I did were dead with in a year.

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    ^^ Very interesting. I will have to figure something out for them I guess.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by