Can normal size broody hen sit on Bantam eggs

Lin_0330

Songster
Apr 9, 2018
London, UK
IMG_1150.JPG
Hello,

I have a Gold Top Hen (crossbreed between golden silkie rooster and light Sussex hen) and she is extremely broody. She started to lay when she was 7 month old and she is now turning 9 month old but has gone broody for 4 times. I usually break her by putting her in cold water and don't allow her to go to nest box.

IMG_1123.JPG

As winter is approaching I don't want her to hatch chicks now so I am planning chicks for next spring.

I am just wondering is it possible for her to hatch some Bantam chicks as I found those ones more esay to sell since I live in city and majority wants to keep chicken as pet, smaller ones are easier to keep.

I will leave 2-3 chicks for her to raise and sell others.

I am just worried if she will smash the small eggs or found smaller chicks difficult to take care of?

If anyone has similar experiences please advise me.

Thanks a lot :)

Attachments

• IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    759.8 KB · Views: 3
She's a beautiful girl! :love
I've had standard size hens set bantam eggs and mixes of bantam and standard eggs as well and did fantastic with the eggs and chicks.
It really just depends on whether or not she's a good broody and mom. All you can do is give her a try, hope for the best and prepare as best you can for misshaps or needing to incubate if she leaves the clutch and there are chicks developing. And have a brooder ready incase she rejects chicks
Hope Ive helped and not scared you off the idea. :fl
Most do great, and when they do, its a wonderful experience to have! :love

She's a beautiful girl! :love
I've had standard size hens set bantam eggs and mixes of bantam and standard eggs as well and did fantastic with the eggs and chicks.
It really just depends on whether or not she's a good broody and mom. All you can do is give her a try, hope for the best and prepare as best you can for misshaps or needing to incubate if she leaves the clutch and there are chicks developing. And have a brooder ready incase she rejects chicks
Hope Ive helped and not scared you off the idea. :fl
Most do great, and when they do, its a wonderful experience to have! :love

Thanks!
I will let her to have a try.
I have a incubator and heat lamp, if anything go wrong I will hand raise the chicks :)
I think she will be a good mama, she is always very gentle and peaceful compared to my other hens.

I have hatched several batches of bantam chicks with large hens without any problems. In fact it is an advantage in the colder weather because the chicks stay small enough to snuggle under the mother for longer. I suppose the minimal chances of the hen squashing the chicks when they are very young is slightly higher in this case, and deaths can happen. But newborn chicks are so fragile that there are always risks with any size hen.

Back
Top Bottom