Can Not Post Pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gsim, Dec 16, 2010.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Hello,

I am Gerry Simpkins. I joined BYC last year. I also built a coop last year and would like to share it with all members. I have 'my page' full of lots of details of how we built our own coop. All it needs is for the pics to be dropped in. So far, I have not been able to do that. I have followed the tutorial to the letter, but each time I come to the part where I Right click in 'page', the word 'paste' is a pale gray, not a normal black text. 'copy' appears in a normal black text in the 'my uploads', but when I R click in 'my page' or in a new 'page', the word 'paste' appears in a light gray text. So the pic does not transfer.

Is there any other way to get my pics to my page on BYC?

I even tried to bring 'my uploads' up on internet explorer, and 'my page' or 'page' up on Firefox, but that did not help either. I tried both on both browsers, and that did not work either. always the same thing. 'paste' just appears a light gray. However 'paste' does work anywhere else I try it. My computer is only 3 weeks old. Below is one pic of my coop. 'paste' works here ok it seems.

Gerry

I went to 'my page' and when I did a R click, the word 'paste' appeared in light gray text and the pic would not paste to 'my page' I am stumped.
    [​IMG]The 'V' thing in front of the coop is part of a temporary cross fence and gate to keep the chooks from ripping up the grass I planted under plastic mesh. Hoped to provide bugs and grass for them. That did not work and the run is now bare.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]
    I see a beautiful coop.
    Wow! It is certainly in better shape than the apartment building I live in.
    It is fantastic, really.

Beth

3. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Hello Gerry,

So I had actually posted a very easy to read, detailed Step by step Instructional on how to add photos to "New Postings", or "Posting Replies". Here is the link. I requested for the admin board to post this as a sticky in the Pictures & Stories of My Chickens section, so that other members like yourself can refer to it directly, but I think they need to review it with other board members to get that approved, before being able to take any action. So you've just got me for now. Hopefully, other members will have greater brilliant ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=427634

It is called How to Upload Photos (A Simple How-to Method) If you read it, you will get a general idea that to put photos up on BYC, you need a place where all your photos have already been uploaded to the Internet somewhere else. There are many ways to upload pics to BYC, but I find this (my approach) to be the least troublesome, and long term effective method. If you upload them somewhere else first, such as Flickr, Photobucket, website, Database, or any online photo storage/viewing site, then all you are doing on BYC is to "call" the image, and it will appear, provided you didn't delete the pic in the storage site.

Your query however, is about adding new photos to your "My Page" if I understand correctly, so I've gone and taken a look at how I can help you. First and foremost, you can't use the "Copy and Paste" technique on the create page interface. There are some steps which are similar to the instructions in my post How to Upload Photos (A Simple How-to Method) but I'll adapt it to suit how to add them to creating My Page. Pardon me if you already know some of these, but I'm writing them for a reader who knows zero, so this can be helpful to everyone, not just you.

These are the steps.

1) Make sure you have already first uploaded any or all of the pictures you want to be viewable on BYC at a photo storage site. Such as Flickr, PhotoBucket etc.
    2) Once you are at BYC, click on MY PAGE. Once you are at your page, you will see these words in bold, This is your blog. Click here to edit - Add new page . Choose whichever you want. If you want to modify your Introduction page, click "Click here to edit". If you want to create a new subpage, click "Add new page".
    3) In both of these pages, to add photos, it is the same.
    4) There is an icon in the 2 level of the toolbox bar, a tree in a picture frame. This is the Create Image link. You use this icon to insert photos into your pages.
    5) Once you click on the Create Image icon, a new smaller screen appears, it is the Insert/Edit Image screen, where you are supposed to enter in some details about this photo you want to appear at this specific location in your page.
    6) In this Insert/Edit Image page, under the General Tab, You will see 3 text fields (places where you must enter stuff), Image URL, Image Description, Title.
    7) You will need to enter these fields, but only the Image URL is the most important, in fact, mandatory.
    8) Go to your photo storage site, right click on the photo you want to add here in BYC. Select and Click on View Image Info at the bottom. You will see 4 given fields, Location Type Size Dimensions. You need the Location (also known as your URL), so use your mouse to select and copy the entire string of words there, normally it looks something like this. http: //farm6.static.flickr.com/5050/5268201354_00e143ec .jpg It will have the extension .jpg or .jpeg because this is a photo URL. It is a unique number allocated to your photo at this site. It is like an address of this photo in the world wide web, so whichever browser calls it, it will point it back to your original storage site.
    9) Once you have copied it, go back to the Insert/Edit Image page, and paste this entire string into the first text field, Image URL. It will appear there as words of the string.
    10) It is up to you to enter Image Description and Title. These are used for giving browser readers for the visually challenged to have an idea what the browser is 'seeing'.
    11) Once this is complete, you will see your photo appear in the space below in the Insert/Edit Image page. This gives you a preview of what the photo will look like once you have added it to your MY PAGE.
    12) Click on Click Insert button at the bottom.
    13) Viola!! Your photo which you hosted somewhere else is now 'called' to appear on your BYC Page.

For as long as you do not delete or remove your photo at the original photo storage site, this link or URL will not be broken. It will always be reliable to view photos on BYC.

Note: If you try to do the Copy Cut Paste technique, you will get an alert page, Stating Copy/Cut/Paste is not available in Mozilla or Firefox. That may be where you hit problems. Good luck.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Sheila

edited to Add "Note:"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Thank you Sheila.

You are a very nice person with beautiful birds and lovely dogs.
    I would love to have them come visit for a while.
    Well, maybe my dachshund would complain, she is quite the diva.
    [​IMG]

Beth

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Thank you Sheila. I stumbled onto a way to get them there yesterday.

I open' my page' first and click on 'edit'. I scroll to where I want to put the next pic and click there. Then I go to 'my uploads' and find the pic I want. I L click on it and it becomes a single large pic with it's own url at the top. I simply click and drag it to the spot I want on 'my page'. It just appears in 'My page' right where I had last had the cursor.

Would not work the way the tutorial said to do it.

Many thanks,

Gerry

PS: Go there now and take a look.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by