Can of pit-bull-whoop opened!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morgan7782, May 23, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    In this corner, weighing in at 57.4 lbs, puuuuuure muscle and backed by a horrid rep, the Pit Bull, TOMOHAWK SANJIYAN! (Tommy)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND in THIS corner, weighing in at MAYBE 1lb, puuuuuuuure feathers, the Barred Rock, JOON SANJIYAN!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had thrown in a few scraps from a salad for Munk and Joon, which they loved. Well, Tommy decides he wants some too, so he walks over to the pen gate and is trying to snuffle some of the cucumber peelings toward him. Joon sees this, AND ATTACKS! With that SHARP little beak of her's, she pecks the pee out of Tommy's nose, even causing a drop of blood. Well, Tommy looked SHOCKED. He leapt back and took off for the house.

CHICKEN 1
    PIT BULL 0

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] better not mess with the chicken treats...

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Watch it Tommy, the Joon is loose!!

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    It was one of the most amusing things I have ever seen! When I had my first two hens I was fostering puppies, and the two hens had NO qualms about putting the puppies in their place. But that was when they outweighed the puppies 2-1.

Joon is definately assertive, I keep waiting for her to crow as well haha. She was the one who pecked my cat's pads bloody when he was on top of the brooder! GO JOON! lol!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Are you from Sacramento Ca. , or Co. ?

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    CA. I put County sign because I wasn't sure how people here would react to me being an 'outlaw' chicken owner. [​IMG]

7. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Jack Russell cross who is terrified of chickens. My 5 ganged up on her and she's never forgotten it.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    In my mind, better they be scared then TOO interested. Lost too many chickens (1 was too many) to dogs that were just 'playing'. But with the fence in place, Joon had every ability to get Tommy but not vice versa. It was great. I hope when they grow up they can open a cat of whoop butt on my youngest cat. Joon will probably EASILY outweigh this young cat, but I will have the spray nozzle aimed just in case. [​IMG] I give the cat a shot of water anytime he is too close to the chicken pen for my comfort. Who says you can't train a cat?? LOL.

I do have an older cat, total hunter, HUGE (about 17 lbs) and he has no interest in harming my girls. He lived in total peace with my first hens as well, so hopefully he will set an example for the younger boy

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh my god. Joon is BALLSY! She just spent most of the day CHASING and CHARGING Tommy, chasing him from the water dish, even his Kong!! And he RUNS! Tail tucked, ears back, like OH CRAP! We spent the time laughing our heads off at the scene. Tommy made no move to approach them, if anything he AVOIDS them at all costs now. And Joon is still determind to sink her beak into some Tommy-Flesh. Does anybody else have such crazy adrenelan junkie chicks?? I will have to video it and post the video, it is too funny to see this fuzzybutt 7 week old Barred Rock chasing down my pit bull.

10. merryberry

merryberry Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    You have got to get that on video! I'd love to see it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by