1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can one chicken live on its own?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jaysis, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Jaysis

Jaysis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Hey guys, One of my two chickens passed this morning, Just wondering will the other bird be okay on her own, do they get lonely? So sad seeing her look around for the other one :/

Sorry not to sure which category to post this in, Thanks

2. cash money

cash money Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    She won't be as happy but will probably attach herself to another animal you have she can live on her own but would be much happier with friends

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This time of year many people may be trying to find homes for extra pullets that were hatched in the spring, or even older hens. I would ask around or run an add locally to find another for company.

4. Jaysis

Jaysis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks guys, I'm guessing they have to be around the same age correct?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If your remaining chicken is young and not grown, similar ages would be good, but I would worry more about good health and getting a gentle friendly chicken. Chickens can live for 7-10 years and more if in good health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by