Can one rooster keep 25ish hens eggs fertile?

tororider

Songster
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast MI
That is the flock that I will be getting my eggs from and when I make eggs in the morning they have all looked fertile to my untrained eye. I just posted a couple and the consensus was at least one of the two was fertile, but is one rooster enough for that many hens? Or will they have a low fertility rate?

I was told one roo to every ten hens. I think you would be in trouble trying to keep that many girls feritle and happy.
big_smile.png

I've always just kept 1 rooster to 10 to 12 hens in my breeding pens....I have acouple hens that won't let the rooster touch them, so I'm sure with that many hens to a roo some are not letting him mate with them...I think that lessens your fertility rate...

25 is ambitious for any male.
lau.gif

You could do well splitting them and having 2 flocks with 2 roos and split the hens, even 3 roos with 8 or so girls each. If you have the space to house them and can keep several small flocks as opposed to one big flock.

You could even pick the best you think would breed well and just save the other ladies for layers.

Hrmm,
It isn't my flock, its the guy I buy my eating eggs from. I may just have to incubate in bulk and hope for the best. If the first one or two batches don't go well I will have to order eggs. I just figured this would be an easy way to start since I have easy access.

Quote:
HEY Now! That might be a ambitous for your part of the
country. But out here in the "pie a near country" that just
about the norm.
yuckyuck.gif

John

That not to say they won't be fertile.

I've had 100% hatch outs with my current 1/16 ratio. Now 100% isn't always going to happen, be goes to show that it really just up the the "performers in the play"
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom