Can one stop laying as her bff is getting ready to lay?

sayccrn

Songster
Jun 14, 2020
Atlanta, GA
My Coop
My Coop
Ok, let me explain: I got these two chickens together, they go everywhere and follow one another around all day long. The one has already started laying and was pretty consistent, skipping a day a week. Today is the third day she isn't laying. Her BFF is finally getting ready to lay, and has just started squatting for me(today is day three of squatting) and exploring the boxes. Could the one that was laying be holding off due to hormones, and be waiting for her BFF to start. You know, like how women who are best friends get on the same cycle. Could this be it?

I am worried she hasn't laid in 3 days. It has been extremely cloudy and rainy too, but the days are getting longer, so I don't think it's a light issue, but may be. All the others are laying the same. She is acting, so far, normal, other than the laying part. She doesn't seem like she would be egg bound, not walking funny, don't feel anything at her butt, not in nest box trying to lay, eating normal, etc). How long til they show symptoms? Would she be showing them by now, on day three?

Or could this all be hormonal? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

thank you in advance.

My brahma lays 5-6 eggs a week, she laid a huge double yolk egg and didn't lay for 3 days after that, so maybe she's just taking a little break to rejuvenate

Attachments

• 20210204_173645.jpg
    20210204_173645.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 2
If she is eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry about it.

What breed is she?
How long has/had she been laying?
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
These two are 40 weeks old, and she (brown leghorn) has been laying since Dec 18th. Her buddy is a Rhode island Blue, and has just starting the squatting.

Back
Top Bottom