Can open,worms,everwhere!! To much info...vegan....animals....meat...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by feather and mountain man, Feb 10, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Okay I am not sure exactly wher to go with all of this info....I love animals! I love meat! I have lived on a farm my whole life and have always eatin animals that were raised on those farms. My kids know where meat comes from as they should....

My delima begins... as I get older I am starting to mush, not just weight wise which is a big problem these last few years, but also I can't seem to hunt or butcher anymore. I can't do it.. Plus it is not just me the Mountainman too. It gets worse than that even my parents.... This past deer season I called my parents house on opening day to see if they had any luck since I could not find it in my heart to even go hunting anymore.. To my suprise my father said he didn't go cause he didn't want to kill the deer either. [​IMG]
    So now if I can't kill what I raise and don't want to buy factory farm meats what am I going to do. I don't want to go vegan but I am limited on options here. I think I would benifit health wise on not eating meat but I really enjoy it. I think it is reasonable to eat meat from animals that were treated humanely and givin a respectful death. My father told me a story about my Hard nosed sometimes mean German Grandpa that was really kinda sweet. He named all of his cows and talked to them daily. He would sell most of them and appoligize to them as he did. When one was butchered for the family he would put it in the freezer and not eat it if he could remember its name and after a year if it had not been eaten he would give it to a needy family. So I am genetically prone to not be able to kill my own.

Ok I want to say this I don't eat beef not for any moral reason, just that I don't like the taste.
    I mostly eat chicken, fish and pork.
    I enjoy all other meat except beef.

I don't live in an area where I have vegan options at all.

So my question how do I eat healthier and not eat factory farmed meat and not kill my own? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Find someone who raises and processes their animals in a way you can agree with and buy from them. It helps support others with your values and also keeps the money in your community.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I know where you are coming from. I absolutely can not kill a chicken. However, I can raise them, give them the best and hire somebody to process them off my property. Although I have processed hog, cattle, deer and the occasional squirrel, I rather hire somebody to do all that work-except squirrel. We don't hunt much anymore either. People keep giving us their meat so we don't have to!

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is the answer. If we buy another beef, and I'm like you I just don't care for beef but I'm a farmer from a long line of farmers so I really have no moral issue with eating meat, I will buy from a local source where I know the animals were raised humanely and without drugs. When I first started worrying about what was IN my meat, before we moved out here to the farm I became a vegetarian but my doctors were constantly on my butt because of my chronic anemia. Now I do eat homegrown chicken and turkey but luckily we have a processor nearby who can do the deed.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

For many years I was vegetarian but not vegan- I ate eggs and cheese. You can eat pretty well that way.

You don't have to slaughter the chickens and cows to keep them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Hire me to grow your meat for you!
    Or another BYCer!

7. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Raise your own poultry, don't name them, and take them somewhere to be processed when they're ready.

8. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Quote:I wish that would work around here but I now own two ducks that were given to me to have butchered and we didn't name them until after the soft hearted fools around here could not kill them. They were too pretty to eat. I even tried to give them away and decided they were to cuter to give away cause they might end up as dinner. lol

So does anyone live near me to sell me some humanely raised meat???? I am in Southern Indiana??? I want to see the critters living conditions before I buy.

9. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Quote:Agreed, pets have names and the other ones just get yelled at to hurry up and grow out already.

10. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Not sure where in Southern IN you are, but in Columbus we have Flemming Family Beef. The have a facebook page and you could find contact info there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by