1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Our Cochin Pullets have Muffs and Beards? - PICTURES ATTACHED

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jt673, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Hello All, We picked up 4 "Cochin" pullets the other day from a local breeder. 2 Black and 2 Blue.

They were hatched in April and 2 in May (The larger ones). One of the larger Black ones looks to have longer sweeping tail feathers and the reddest comb. Is it a possible Roo?

My second question, do Cochin have ear Muffs and Beards???

All but the large blue girl seem to have muffs and beards. Will it fill in as they get more feathers?

Thanks for all input, please help us confirm what we have!!!!

Group of our cochins (4 and 5 months old)
    [​IMG]

Roo or Pullet?
    [​IMG]

Cochins, with muffs
    [​IMG]

Roo to the far left?
    [​IMG]

Blue cochin pullet with no muffs or beard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture of their tails
    [​IMG]

Face
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feet, some plucked off in transit, but seem a bit bare in general
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for any input!

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Those are not even close to being cochins. They are a mix of cochin/ee's. They are adorable tho. I have a few ee/cochin crosses here and just love them to pieces [​IMG] They may even lay blue eggs for you.

ETA: looks to me like they are all pullets, the red on their combs and waddles just means they are getting close to laying

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I agree. We have a few EE/cochin pullets that our blue andelusian hatched earlier this year, and they look just like those except a different color. they are beautiful birds.

We thought that our EE had disappeared (our birds get to free range on 12 acres) only to find her yesterday sitting on a nest in the edge of the woods. She has 14 green eggs under her, which means we will be having more of these beauties around the farm! I cant wait. They should be due this coming weekend!

congrats on your new kids, they are beautiful regardless of their breed(s)!

4. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    THank you both for your replies. The more I research the other suggestions and look at others cochins, these are definitely mixes breeds. I love their beauty though and look forward to seeing what color eggs we get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by