Can pasty butt make a chick this sick?

Madisan

Songster
7 Years
Jun 5, 2015
Florida
Hi guys,
I got a few chicks from this breeder today and I was supposed to buy all of them but the guy told me I could have this chick for free because it was acting weak and sick. He said last night the chick was fine. But this chick is very weak all it does is lay down and it can't even hold its head up. I dipped its beak in the water and it took a few sips but it can't eat or drink on its own. It keeps its eyes closed 24/7.
It looked like poop was crusted to its vent so I gently cleaned it off and I will be monitoring for pasty butt. But is this pasty butt? Does it make a chick this sick? I don't think this chick will make it

Pasty butt could just be a sign of another illness. It may be a symptom or a result, and not the cause. Weak chicks do tend to get it easier.
Do you have electrolytes in their water, and is the chick separated from the others?

I do have electrolytes and I will try to figure out a way to separate the chick. But it doesn't look like this chick will make it. The other chicks are happy and hyper

Back
Top Bottom