Can pea gravel be used for grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joebryant, Oct 2, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Home Depot sells small bags of pea gravel. It's various sizes, up to about 3/8 inch. Would that work for grit. Everytime I buy 5# of granite grit from TSC, I feel like I wasted money.

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I've seen turkey gizzards with pea gravel size grit in them. Haven't seen that size in any chicken or duck gizzards yet. I would hope your birds know what size gravel they can get away with swallowing.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd think that would be a little large for most chickens.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I've bought one bag of grit - when I first got my chickens, since then they find their own apparently! [​IMG] (perhaps they're recycling)

5. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    You would be better off buying a bag of construction sand at Home Depot instead.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If you have a river that's full of gravel - - - go get a bucket and sift out the big stuff.
    I agree I feel like I'm wasting money buying ground up rocks [​IMG] but I have bought 2 bags of chicken granite grit this summer -- so now I know about what size of grit that I need to sift the free rocks down to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by