Can Peafowl eat whole cherries safely?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bemba, Dec 16, 2011.

1. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    My dad went to the local fruit shop and got some scraps for the birds..... and it was mainly whole cherries....... I have heard they are toxic (the pitts) and my peafowl ahve eaten them..... Could this be a problem, or will they just pass the pitts?

2. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Dad was looking after the farm while we were away on Holidays, anyway they seem fine?

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yikes, good question. I don't feed my birds cherries, but I have 3 cherry trees that I'm sure my new little flock of Peafowl will eventually find their way to...

I've seen my Guinea Fowl eating the dropped cherries off the ground under the trees this past summer and didn't lose any birds [​IMG] They didn't gorge themselves, but they probably ate enough that if they were harmful, I would have seen sick or dead birds. This probably doesn't help much, so hopefully someone has a better answer [​IMG]

4. Lady in Blue

Lady in Blue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Near Muncie, Indiana
    Mine have had them....no problems!!!

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    My peafowl love to eat cherries. Normally I cut the cherries in half for them, but they go so wild when they see the cherries that sometimes they grab a whole one from me. Even the big cherries they can gulp down, but it takes them a little while to swallow it and that is why I cut them up. I haven't had any problems with them eating cherries so it should be fine.[​IMG]

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The cherry are fine......now the leafs are toxic to most animals, at least when green.

7. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Thanks guys.... had a freak out moment [​IMG] They all seem fine, boy is displaying, girls are acting hard to get, so all is good [​IMG]

8. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Mine love whole grapes.

9. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Quote:Same, my peahens in particular really go nuts for them, second only to mealworms [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by