Can peafowl run in old chicken run??

nurseC7

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 15, 2016
So I'm thinking about moving bird houses. I'd like to put my peafowl in my much larger chicken run. I have heard of something called blackhead disease and it comes from the dirt where chickens live which is why they aren't supposed to run together. So does anyone know if I can ever run the peafowl in that enclosure or is there a way for me to sanitize it?? Thanks so much in advance!!

Feb 17, 2021
I don't know this answer, as I have no peafowl, but if I were washing my pen for a new flock, I would sanitize the run with bleach or cleaner, scrub it down, and let air dry. My turkeys got this disease on their faces for a while, but it didn't seem to hurt them. So, until more info is shared, I wouldn't worry about it. I may be wrong, but that is what I would do. Good luck!

nurseC7

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 15, 2016
I don't know this answer, as I have no peafowl, but if I were washing my pen for a new flock, I would sanitize the run with bleach or cleaner, scrub it down, and let air dry. My turkeys got this disease on their faces for a while, but it didn't seem to hurt them. So, until more info is shared, I wouldn't worry about it. I may be wrong, but that is what I would do. Good luck!
Thank you! :)

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
but if I were washing my pen for a new flock, I would sanitize the run with bleach or cleaner, scrub it down, and let air dry.
You can't sanitize dirt.

My turkeys got this disease on their faces for a while, but it didn't seem to hurt them.
Are you positive it was black head....or was it dry pox?
I thought blackhead was always fatal.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Are you positive it was black head....or was it dry pox?
I thought blackhead was always fatal.
[/QUOTE] from aart.
Good questions. It sounds like pox, black skin from fencing injuries, or something else.

Top Bottom