1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can pekin ducks mate naturally?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mommy9994, May 25, 2008.

1. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    and do they get broody?

I'm thinking on getting some next spring for both eggs and meat.

2. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Yes to both. I was told by many people that Pekins no longer go broody, that the set had be bred out of them, but according to Storey's guide Pekins are one of the best breeds of broodies and mothers. My own pair has mated and the hen has been setting on a clutch of eggs for two weeks now! I am so excited. I didn't know if she would go broody, or not, after hearing conflicting things, but she definetly has. I've since had many people to tell me their pekins hatch their own eggs. So, I suppose mine is not an isolated thing.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My White Pekin hen Whitey mates quite well and quite often,,,, she also sat her eggs to the end but I had to take them away to finish the hatch. She crushed one as it hatched, 2 tried to hatch but couldn't get out, she refused to move. She is laying another batch right now and I'm going to let her set but take them away around day 21.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes and Yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by