Can people get lice from chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CHIC, Oct 17, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    ?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Nope.

There are only two kinds of lice that live on humans. You can't get lice from your dog/cat/horse etc. either. I do a lot of kitten foster and sometimes puppy too. They often come to me in pretty bad shape and full of parasites. It always makes me feel itchy and gross when they have lice, but it's species specific.

3. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Good to know. Just got to thinking about it..lol- very itchy

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I've heard people say they got bit from them though... like while holding their birds..
    but as for getting an infestation and them living on you..No, i dont think that can happen..Like the other poster said..i think they are species specific..

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, chicken mites/lice they may well taste you. Then they will hold their noses and say "icky nasty human!"

6. donnajeanne

donnajeanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    I was holding some baby/young chickens against my neck and now have what look like hives on those specific areas.....we do have chickens with lice?mites...whatever they are.....I am an itchy, painful mess....Does anyone have any idea what I should do??? and I def got from chickens...maybe im allergic?? Help!!!!!!

7. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

sorry, kittymomma... i have gotten a terrible case of chicken lice. they can't live on your blood and will eventually die of starvation, but they will get in your hair and crawl around your head, and they itch like crazy. and yes, i am absulutely positive that i had a case of chicken lice and not people lice.

8. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

and donnajeanne... have you ever tried aveeno anti-itch creme? it works wonderes on pretty much every rash thinkable. i hope your rash clears up!

9. donnajeanne

donnajeanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Thank you!! Im SO miserable....I'll go get some and try it..........thanks so much everyone for their input!!

10. GoingNuts

GoingNuts New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi CayugalLover, How did you get rid of the chicken lice in your hair? Need to know because this seemed to be a possibility with my parents :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by