Can Perkins fly?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by the awesome one, Mar 19, 2013.

1. the awesome one

the awesome one New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Inverell nsw australia
    I have a 5-6 month old perkin n a moscovy n I've just leant off my neighbour that my perkin was out of the yard early of the morning, my yard is dog n kid proof I don't understand how it got out n back in unless it flew!? Lol can they fly?

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so it's a muscovy pekin cross? Muscovy, sure can, pekin to my knowledge do not.

3. the awesome one

the awesome one New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Inverell nsw australia
    No sorry, I got the pekin from the pet shop n I was told she was pure but she turned out with a black head :/ the moscovy hasn't gotten out as far as I know he is too fat but she has...

4. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    Do you have a picture of the duck? I though I had bought 3 pekin ducks, but mine ended up flying as well. It turned out they were White Mallards. Mine are all white though, so I don't think about the black head part.[​IMG]

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Hmm. Pekins usually get too heavy to fly by adulthood, but if they are mixed with a smaller duck and maintain a smaller size I don't see why they couldn't fly...and when I say they get too heavy to fly I mean that they fly like chickens fly...not very well, not very high, and not very far.

6. the awesome one

the awesome one New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Inverell nsw australia
    Not sure how to upload a picture but she is tiny, when u all say she would be too fat that doesn't sound like her at all, compared to him she is little n petite where he is big n chunky

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It's not sounding like pekin or least pure. They are solid white. Do you have any pictures? you can use the picture icon and upload one right from your photo's on your computer. Regardless, if it's flying over you best get that sorted, you don't want it injured or annoying the neighbour.

8. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    The black on the head is questionable, but im more interested in a flying Pekin. My pekin will get air if she's flapping in the wind, but she only gets a few feet up and goes a few feet and that's it. If yours is actually flying up over fences that's different. You mentioned that your pekin is very small- that doesn't sound like a pekin. My pekin is on the small size, weighs right at 7 lbs but she is still a large duck. Please post a pic if you can. Thanks!

9. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Pekins do not fly, well if they get a good run downhill they can lift an inch or two off of the ground but they don't go far. I have a Muscovy/Pekin Cross who is just gorgeous...she is the shape of a Pekin but wider, she has Pekin legs/feet with scovy nails, a black bill, her coloring on head and body is black and white and she's bigger than my Pekin and Muscovy Hens however she does fly and very well. She does the little trilling song like the scovy girls and when she gets super excited she lets out a very funny kind of quack. She also has 2 short black feathers that stick out of the side of her head up near the top. I named her Prissy but had she been a male I'd have called you yankee doodle. I would love to see photos of your duck.

Michelle

10. the awesome one

the awesome one New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Inverell nsw australia
    I only have my iPhone is there anyway I could upload pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by