1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can pheasant eat meat?????

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by chickenobsessed, Feb 19, 2016.

1. chickenobsessed

chickenobsessed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    Hello, I was told from a guy that pheasant will eat meat! Our freezer door was left open so we have a lot of meat to get rid of and was wondering if it would be ok to give it to the pheasants! Thanks Tyler

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Yes. Remember, Pheasants are omnivores. They eat bugs and plants. They should enjoy the meat, it's an excellent source of protein. Chickens LOVE meat too. Mine pick it off of the bone.

3. chickenobsessed

chickenobsessed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    Does it matter what kind of meat? like fish, deer meat, marinated deer meat, i have a whole bunch of different kinds

4. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I do not feed my birds anything marinated or anything with sauce. The salt content is not good for them. And, if you want to cook the meat, then eat whatever you want, they will peck any meat left on the bones. They are not carnivores so I would also start off small then give them more gradually. Or, give them the meat and add a lot of veggies so they have a good balance. My birds have meat in the winter, when there aren't any bugs for them to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by