Can pheasants and chooks live together......

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by bwalden3, Apr 17, 2008.

1. bwalden3

bwalden3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    Hillsboro, NH
    and what are the size requiremnets for pheasents? thanks - Bill

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have a pair of ringneck pheasants in with my chickens . My barn is 10x20 and we are adding a 10x20 coop for them to go into .

I also know some one who has pheasants in with her pigeons

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would be extremely careful with this. While it may work in some cases, it typically doesn't work. Pheasants cannot free range with chickens, they also require separate feed. A pheasant pen should be very roomy and I've seen many a pheasant actually attacked by chickens. If you have a HUGE coop, it may work, but it is generally a case by case thing. What works for one, may not work for others.

Pheasants needs are just too different from a chickens for them to live a happy life coexisting.

4. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Varies per species, bigger the better is the general rule. They shouldn't be housed with chickens if can be avoided.

Dan

5. bwalden3

Sep 30, 2007
    Hillsboro, NH
    No I was going to separate them in the same coop, but what are the per square feet/bird?

6. Lophura

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:What species are you going with?

I've never been a fan with the square feet per bird method, is more used by those in production. I would recommend - again, depending on the species - that an aviary 8x12 or 10x10 would be the minimum for a pair of typical sized species (Ringneck, Silver, Swinhoe, Amherst); when planted and with lots of enrichment items, smaller sizes such as 8x8 can be used for species such as Golden or Edwards.

If you can afford it, please provide as much space as you can. Include in the aviary small trees and shrubs, rocks, logs, grass tufts and other items to simulate as much a natural environment as possible. Bare runs are not suited for pheasants and will fare much better if treated as close to the wild species they actually are.

Dan

7. bwalden3

Sep 30, 2007
    Hillsboro, NH
    Thank you, basically a coworker of my wifes asked if we would be able to raise them for him.
    I am not really interested in have pheasants, so I think I will just 86 the whole idea now. I am not very comfortable having mixed species in the same house. I would rather just have the chooks. I also don't really agree with the sq ft per bird method, however I will use it as a baseline and usualy increase the space requirment of my birds so they aren't crowded. Thanks for the info -Bill

8. Lophura

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Very good, if you decide to go forward, just drop me a line!!

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by