Can pheasants live with chickens

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by isaacearlg, May 11, 2009.

1. isaacearlg

isaacearlg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Houston,TX
    i was wondering if you can keep pheasants in the same coop with chickens.

2. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Not recommended, but can be done for a limited time - depending on chicken breeds and pheasant species as well as size and design of the coop/aviary.

Dan

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Dan,

Which become more aggressive/dominant if housed together, the pheasants or the chickens?

4. isaacearlg

May 11, 2009
    Houston,TX
    Quote:Not recommended, but can be done for a limited time - depending on chicken breeds and pheasant species as well as size and design of the coop/aviary.

Dan

whats wrong with them being raised togrther my chickens free range and come back in their coop at night

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Two different species. Chickens are domestic, Pheasants are a wild species. I don't reccomend it either.

6. isaacearlg

May 11, 2009
    Houston,TX
    Quote:i have heard of pheasants being domesticated.I ask Because i saw some trapogan's and fell in love with them when i saw them.SO my plans where to throw some eggs that where about to hatch under my chickens while they where brooding so they would raise them and theyll grow up thinking theyre chickens.I did the same with ducks.Turns out they hated going in the pond

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Especially an exotic breed like that. You will want a seperate pen and aviary for them.

8. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN

Dan

whats wrong with them being raised togrther my chickens free range and come back in their coop at night

but free range pheasants wont come home at night,,I have some silkies in with mine and they are fine,but silkies dont roost so no fighting over roosting spots..

9. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:First off, chickens are resistant to a great deal many more diseases than pheasants are and you are taking a risk housing the adults together from this aspect. I currently house a cochin and OE hen with a pair of Amherst. These two I use for pheasant broodies in an aviary that is 24x8x8 on the outside with an inside run that is 10x10x10, plenty of room for all to establish their own areas. The small bantam hens have shown no aggression towards the pheasants, but I have seen male Amherst harass the OE hen from time to time.

The larger breeds of chickens will bully most pheasant species and the larger species of pheasants, may bully most small bantam breeds. Observation and space is key if they must be housed together.

Quote:The context of domestcation you are using is not the same in which Ticks is referring to. Just because an animal is in captivity, it doesn't make it domestic. There are no domestic elephants and rhinos, but there are captive elephants and rhinos. Pheasants (other than one species, Gallus gallus), while they can be rather tame and kept like fowl, are not domesticated breeds such as chickens. Their captive counterparts (those that are not mutated or hybrids) look the same and given the chance, will behave as the wild birds.

We can almost predict behaviors in domestic animals, but cannot in wild species. Pheasants cannot be relied upon to come into a coop each night as a chicken would. Many species, no matter how much human interaction, are flighty and nervous.

The species you mentioned, the Tragopans, are rather pricey birds (for a variety of reasons) and I would never take the chance with them free range or even house with domestic fowl. My suggesstion, do some more research before you decide to keep pheasants. You can find a reference list of books, links, and info at http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/index.html

Dan

10. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:I think the Indian mahouts (elephant handlers) might disagree with you there..... [​IMG]

Incidentally, I love your gbwf site! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by