Can pig catch any illnesses off chickens?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frenchchickens123, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, I just bought a piglet! We are thinking of putting the pig pen next to the chickens, so there will just be chicken wire separating them. Now my chickens have mycoplasma, no other problems just myco. So I just wanted to check is the piglet still okay to go next to the chickens?? Many thanks in advance

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    My little wild hog is in a pen right next to my chickens without a problem.

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I never had any problems having mine beside each other

4. Frenchchickens123

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, thanks for the quick replies :) I'm not worried about them being next to each other but more worried that the piglet can catch mycoplasma from chickens. I know pigs can get illnesses and I think I read somewhere myco is one of them, whether it's tranitted between species or not I don't know??

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Not sure what all they can exchange to each other but I would assume at a min. worms. I would also be careful pigs have been known to eat live chickens. People put them together all the time but there is that rare chance you know. I don't put no animals together that are not like.

Good luck!

6. Frenchchickens123

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, thanks for the help. We were going to ask the vet to be sure. But she's escaped! She went to the farm next door but we couldn't catch her and it's now dark :-( I am absolutely gutted to say the least. She was put in a stable which is made out of wood and she managed to push the back wall away and get out. This was my first pig and not a great experience so far! The search will continue tomorrow but how we will catch I don't know. It's all big fields with fencing for cows so she can easily go through to the next farm. I can only hope someone else manages to get her and get her back to us. The word is out about the pig so fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by