Can pigeons take penicillin?

Pigeon Pants

Hatching
Oct 3, 2020
I own pigeons, and one of them seems to have bumblefoot. Her toes are swollen, so it seems like mild bumblefoot. I read a bit about treating it, and many people suggested penicillin so I was wondering, can pigeons take penicillin? If anyone has any tips on treating penicillin in pigeons, it will also be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to BYC. I will tag some folks that know, and have pigeons as I do not, and see what they have to say.

@WVduckchick , @Pyxis , @backyard pigeons .

Could you post a few pictures of the Bumblefoot? Could you also post a few pictures of their pen area? Bumblefoot can occur when birds are kept on exceptionally hard, and unforgiving substrate material for longer hours then there intended to be. Birds with conditions that are causing them to apply more pressure to one foot then the other area also predispose them to this condition.

I would not use Penicillin, for one major reason. The bacteria that often cause's Bumblefoot, staphylococcus aureus, has built up a strong resistance to "cillins". If you were to choose to use an antibiotic, I would suggest something like Cephalexin, Ciprofloxacin, or Enrofloxacin.

Welcome to BYC. I will tag some folks that know, and have pigeons as I do not, and see what they have to say.

Could you post a few pictures of the Bumblefoot? Could you also post a few pictures of their pen area? Bumblefoot can occur when birds are kept on exceptionally hard, and unforgiving substrate material for longer hours then there intended to be. Birds with conditions that are causing them to apply more pressure to one foot then the other area also predispose them to this condition.

I would not use Penicillin, for one major reason. The bacteria that often cause's Bumblefoot, staphylococcus aureus, has

I would not use Penicillin, for one major reason. The bacteria that often cause's Bumblefoot, staphylococcus aureus, has built up a strong resistance to "cillins". If you were to choose to use an antibiotic, I would suggest something like Cephalexin, Ciprofloxacin, or Enrofloxacin.

Thank you! I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow because its pretty dark here at the moment. The floor of their cage is gravel and the perches are wooden. I think its likely the gravel, because its quite sharp. I'm going to try to talk my dad into putting out grass for the floor instead, since I'm underage I don't really get as much say in those kind of things unfortunately. As for her foot, she has been just standing on one leg lately and the toe on the left side is quite swollen. I was looking for cuts or scabs on the soles but I couldn't see anything. It was kinda hard to get a good look though.

Hello there!

I have never heard of bumble foot in pigeons, ever. What is your coop like? How bad is the wound? Can you post pictures? I don't want to recommend any meds as I have not used them for bumblefoot.

Thank you for replying and thanks for the welcome! I'll get pictures tomorrow because its dark outside right now. The cage has a gravel floor and wooden perches. Its probably the gravel because its pretty sharp. I'm just 15 right now, so I don't get much say in these sort of things but I'll try to get my dad to replace it with grass. The foot doesn't seem to have any cuts, but the toe on one side is pretty swollen and she's been standing on one leg

Pictures of your loft would be great! Grass may not be the best option...

I put out cardboard and dirt today in some spots, for a temporary fix but its usually just gravel
First picture is the cardboard I put out today, second is the dirt and the 3rd is the usual floor.

Attachments

• 20201004_134514.jpg
    20201004_134514.jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201004_134520.jpg
    20201004_134520.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201004_134534.jpg
    20201004_134534.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 4
I put out cardboard and dirt today in some spots, for a temporary fix but its usually just gravel
First picture is the cardboard I put out today, second is the dirt and the 3rd is the usual floor.
Dood! What a loft! I love it! I don't think dirt is best... I think some round gravel or straw\corn cob bedding would be better. Maybe even sand?

Back
Top Bottom