1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can pigs & chickens live together in harmony?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bj taylor, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i would love to raise a couple of pigs. i'm wondering if they ignore chickens or tend to be aggressive toward them. my chickies come first at this stage of the game. they would have about an acre to share.

2. I would not advise it pigs like to eat chickens. And once they taste blood watch out.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Pigs are quite destructive, they root, tearing up building and fencing, and they really have a strong smelling manure, and they are omnivores, they eat almost anything.

MrsK

4. ChaoticCritters

ChaoticCritters Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    My pigs and chickens get along just fine. The pigs are in a VERY secure pen, the chickens free-range and at any given time there's usually a chicken or two in the pigpen. I used a metal rail gate for the pigpen, so the chickens just slip in-between the rails.

The pigs have a creep-feeder, so they aren't ever *hungry* and have no desire to chase down the chickens and eat them. They rather enjoy a chicken walk on their itchy backs.

1 person likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2. Once a hog gets the taste of chicken blood, games over. I've had it happen.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

7. LestersFlat

LestersFlat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Schuyler Lake NY
    Like Chaotic said, I had 2 pigs in a secure fence, and my chickens are free range. Although none of my chickens was inspired to jump the fence and join the pigs, my pigs never seemed to mind the chickens pecking around outside their fence. But you will need a good-sized pen in which to house your pigs so that they will be healthy and happy and not looking at the chickens as play or dinner! I agree with backyard chickens, but I think backyard pigs can be a real challenge.

8. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Pigs and chickens also are both susceptible to avian tuberculosis, so it is not recommended.

9. sslr2012

sslr2012 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2014
    Missouri
    I have 2 potbelly/mini mixes on a 1/2 acre of land, they share it with 25 free range chickens, other than the Chickens preferring sow and piglet feed to layer pellets, I haven't had one problem. Feeder pigs might be a different story..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by