Can Polish roosters turn mean?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by foxypoproxy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Right now i have a young polish rooster.
    It is very sweet, docile, and sits on your lap and crys when we are not around its also just started to crow a few days ago.
    It has no spurs yet and i'm estimating is about 2 months old ish (not really sure).
    In the past i had a really mean Old English Game rooster that attacked EVERYONE!
    So far from what ive read and seen, polish roosters stay nice right?
    I'm hoping so because we really love him and have bonded with it....but if it turns mean and starts attacking people i don't know if we would be able to keep it.
    Anyone have any experience they would like to share?
    My mother hates roosters just because of that one experience with one so im hoping this one will change its mind.

2. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    reality is he's probably going to at the LEAST go through a mean stage as his hormones start to kick in- how bad that is depends on the roo. My polish guy just finally is figuring out his job "protect his girls' and even ran at me last night (april hatched roo). But far from mean.

SO if he hits an angry stage- sit through it for a week or two- it most likely will calm back down

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:thanks that helps :]

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Really, I think ANY breed can turn mean. There are some breeds out there that have more docile tendencies, but until they're grown, I don't think a person can really know. I've had them get mean at 2-3 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by