Can poor stock lead to chronic feather loss?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shaninsky, Oct 19, 2014.

1. shaninsky

shaninsky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2014
    I have a mixed flock of Barred Rock, black sex-link, Rhode Island Red and Cochins. My Cochins are the oldest in the flock and they are always in good feather. The others have good feathers for about a year and then start to look ragged. I feed a premium laying feed with flax seed and they are free range. I don't think it's parasites because my Cochins are never affected. My Cochins come from a small breeder and all the others come from a commercial breeder through my local feed store. Is it possible that they are just poor stock and more prone to feather loss?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No sure, many people are having flocks that are doing a heavy molt right now. Of course, some don't molt at the same time or just lose a few feathers.

1 person likes this.
  3. shaninsky

Sep 17, 2014
    That's the thing - these commercial hatchery chickens never re feather. they get some but they're dull and sparse. One of the meat birds I got from this place last year never grew real feathers except for on her wings. Yet my Cochins molt and regrow their feathers every year. It's frustrating. I worry about sunburn and cold weather and naturally people are critical of me for letting them get that way but they really do get the best care and I just don't know what to do besides knit them all sweaters [​IMG]. I'm going to get some chicks from a new breeder in the spring and see what happens. I've also crossed a barred rock roo with a cochin hen so I'll see if that helps but it will be a while before I'll be able to tell.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Some are slower than others. If you feed them regular layer, you can boost their protein with some flock raiser, and get the protein level up to about 20-25% for now. Also vitamins help. I like the packets of Broiler Booster because it's got probiotics. It's usually cheap because you'll use about a pinch per gallon. Sometimes they need extra nutrients. I recently looked at a bag of layer and the protein was 16%, I felt that was kind of low so I by Manna Pro now because it's 18% Right now mine look like they fell into a feather plucker that broke, LOL

1 person likes this.
  5. shaninsky

Sep 17, 2014
    Thanks Seminolewind, that is more help than I've ever received from the feed store. I will get some higher protein feed and add some probiotics. I take them so why shouldn't the chickens? I'll make sure to post back about what I notice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by