Can possums or raccoons break into pet carriers?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sphinxface, May 10, 2016.

1. sphinxface

sphinxface Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Im keeping my hen, who was recently attacked by a possum, in a small pen with a small pet carrier for a house/nest box area. I plan to at least close her into the pet carrier at night, but I don't want her to be harrassed by that possum or anything else while she's healing.

Would it be overkill to put her and the carrier in the shed at night, or would she be safe in the cat carrier?

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, a raccoon can open a pet carrier, and/or grab in through the bars and pull the chicken out in pieces...

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Although I doubt that an opossum could get to her in a pet carrier, a raccoon with it's dexterous hands might. I would put her in the shed at night.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    A very large airline crate and a very good door latch system would be okay, but small? NO WAY! Mary

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Just wire some hardware cloth over the door. That's what I did when busting a broody in the run. Cut hardware cloth to size and use small length of wire and pliers to twist secure the mesh to door. There's no way a raccoon can open any pet carrier I've seen but certainly can reach in. It a gamble if the bird sleeps next to door or not.

6. scrambled please

scrambled please Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Better safe than sorry, I've lost my share of girls thinking they would be ok. Put her in the shed!!![​IMG]

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

8. sphinxface

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    Thank you all so much for the replies! I will be less drafty in the shed too since shes now missing all of her hind feathers ;)

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Another issue is the size of the openings between the bars of the cage door compared to the size of the new chicks. If a new baby can get out, it will, and won't ever get back to mama. Mary

10. sphinxface

Apr 7, 2015
    Renton, Washington
    She was up on the perch in the pen last night, I felt bad taking her off but I also felt better knowing she was safe. I need to get over feeling things like that I think. When our other chicken was sick she was on special water meds and couldnt be with the others even though she really really wanted to. Its hard keeping them isolated when they are social creatures :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by