Can pot bellied pig live with chickens>

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
New to this. My husband just finished my coop and run. I was planning to keep my pot bellied pig (4 months old) |and chickens in the same run and coop. I just read on the forum that the pig will go after the eggs. Should I make a separate sleeping area in the coop for the pig away from the nesting boxes? What about the run, do I now need another run? Help. Sandy

Well I don't know about your pig in particular, but I remember that when I was growing up our pigs ate all but the smartest of our chickens (banties and araucanas). The pigs would lie still while the chickens pecked around in the pig pen and then as soon as one got near enough to the business end of the pig, Whammo! no more chicken.

We have one pig right now..and let me tell you, he is TOO smart. He knows the chickens want his feed. When I feed him, he will push his nose deep into the feed, and hold it close to the fence....the chickens try to peck through the fence, and he nips at them, trying to have a chicken dinner. So, we had to put chicken wire around the bottom of his pen. BAD PIG!! LOL

I think pigs will eat chickens. I have no experience with this since we didn't have our chickens last year when we had pigs. Don't know for sure I guess.

We have 3 pot bellies now and have no problems with them eating our chickens. The pigs are kept in a pen at night and allowed to free range the yard during day along with the chicks. I have a small mille fluer that sleeps with and follows the pigs everywhere. No problems so far.

hi. i am also a PPB owner..he's about 8 months old now...he lives in the house.with all our animals...cats..dogs..etc...is in the goat pen during the day in nice weather..and he is fine with them all..(but can sometimes get a bit pushy with them..but nothng bad., mostly only when my goat tries to ram him..,pigs dont like that..lol)...i also had that question about them being safe with chickens..i do think he would go for the eggs...but to eat a live animal!...ahh!!...lol..i'd die!...do they really eat live animals?...domestic PPB's?...thanks for any info?....

okay..thanks....i'll be sure to keep the little monster out of the chicken pen!..;o)...appreciate the heads up!...

Yup pigs will eat chickens...even baby pigs.
We caught a wild baby pig maybe a couple weeks old. I put him in my run that is probally 15x20' I thought would be big enough for them to keep away from each other. For the next month I ended up loosing 3 or 4 full grown RIR chickens...just disappeared gone.
It wasn't till one day I was walking in the pen and kicked something and it was a half a chicken foot. Thats all that was left. That little 10 pound pig had completely eaten everything. Every little feather, foot , wing, beak.....everything. Didn't leave a clue behind. I probally wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't found those 2 toe.
Pig will eat anything and I mean anything. Keep the little guy out of your coop.

Aloha,
Cory

Back
Top Bottom