Can pullet eggs develope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Jul 19, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Just another hmmm thing I've been rolling around in my mind...

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I don't see why they couldn't as long as the rooster is fertile and knows what he is doing. I would pop one or two in the bator and just see what happens.....

3. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    how old are they?

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I would say yes. About 75% of the eggs that I have been collecting are fertile. My chickens have been laying for just under 1 month. If they are fertile = they can hatch

5. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Ok thanks, I just went and put them in the bator with some other eggs I put in today. One is a week old and has been kept in the basement since it's cooler down there, and turn a few times per day in an egg crate. The other one is from today. This is the third egg I have found from my flock so far and the largest(about 2"). The first one I accidentally dropped and cracked two weeks ago.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, they can hatch if they are fertile. Hatchability increases as the egg size increases (which coincides with the longer the hen continues to lay).

Jody

7. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    The first two eggs were def smaller...Like half the size of this last one. But they may have all come from different pullets as they are all the same age. My Ancona, who is usually in a different pen and free ranges may have laid the one from today too...She has been flying over the fence and going into the coop and going into the nest boxes to rest. She may have been getting ready to lay one. Either that or she is just getting away from her mate, our overly romantic BR...I think she knows he can't fly over the fence. [​IMG]

8. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    lol That is funny! Congratulations on the eggs, I hope they do wonderful for you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by