Can Pullets Eat Alfalfa?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by birdsrfun, Jul 20, 2016.

1. birdsrfun

birdsrfun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    I have a laying hen, and two pullets. I was wanting to spread out alfalfa hay on the ground, since it's bare, so they can get some greens and occupy their time scratching around. The pullets are still several weeks away from laying, and we are feeding grower feed.

I see that alfalfa is high in calcium. Should I feed it to my pullets?

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Its a good forage substitution... as long as they are on grit or dirt you should have no problem. I used to give my pens each a flake of hay once a mont as enrichemnt and a dietary boost. I free feed their flock grower so they really arent hungry when i put the hay in.

deb

3. birdsrfun

birdsrfun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    S.F Bay Area
    Thanks perchie.girl. Is the calcium content okay for pullets?

4. jpalmatier83

jpalmatier83 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2016
    Traverse City, MI
    I believe if the feeding is at liberty it should be fine. Similar to oyster shell, if they've had their fill of a micronutrient they should back off the source. Im assuming based on what you said the alfalfa isn't a primary feed source? Giving the chicks a choice is different than providing a high calcium layer feed as their primary source of nutrition.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

take a look at the feed you are already giving them... you will find Alfalfa in there... I really dont believe they can get too much from just flake alfalfa.

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by