1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can pullets molt? Losing feathers and egg production. Are they sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my first peepers, Mar 5, 2009.

1. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    I have five pullets, 3 are 10 months old, 2 are 8 months old. All have been laying well for a few months and have always been very healthy. Yesterday I noticed that one of the 8 month olds has a bare spot below (not around) her vent. At first I thought she was getting picked at but today I noticed that she and a couple of the other girls are also losing feathers under their chins. Also their egg production has slowed. I have had a light on from 5-7am all winter. Last week I cut it back to 5-6:30 because of the increasing daylight. Could this have put them into a premature molt? What should I do? What else might this be? I didn't see any kind of bugs on them. They have DE in their shavings, ACV in their water, layer pellets, oyster shell and grit available.
    Thank you!

(Edited for spelling)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I'm guessing their bodies are just cycling and molting, but what do I know?

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had a coulpe pullets go into a mini molt. Make sure you increase there protien.

4. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    Thanks. What should I give them for extra protein? I give them BOSS but just as a treat when I call them...is there something else that's better?

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    BOSS and a little dry cat food.

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I have also given cooked eggs for added protein. They just love a good scramble......

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Meat. Chickens are meat eaters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by