Can puppies and chickens play well together

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SouthCoastguy, Feb 26, 2012.

1. SouthCoastguy

SouthCoastguy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    I introduced my 10 week old puppy to my 3 hens today and had no idea how things would go! My hens were definitely afraid and my puppy was curious, she watched them and when they ran so did she, right after them! I'm pretty sure she just wanted to play, but am going to make sure to watch them carefully when they are together.

If you want to see some pics you can go to the below link.

http://www.myattemptatgardening.blogspot.com/2012/02/sometimes-introductions-are-little.html

Anyone have any advise on the topic to share?

Thanks!!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Even in play do not allow your pup to run after the chickens. If she feels that she has your 'approval' to do so, the chasing may escalate to attacking.

3. SouthCoastguy

SouthCoastguy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    I never thought about that, good to know....Thanks!!!!

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    do a search for how to teach your dog to behave around chickens. For most people, ignoring them is the fastest way to a peaceful co-existence :)

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Cute pup! Is she a poodle? She is probably just curious about what the chickens are. Pick a chicken up and let the pup smell it good. If she chases after them trying to figure out what they are it could lead to her chasing them as a game.
    So pick up a chicken and let the pup examine it good. If the pup tries to mouth it scold the puppy.

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Chickens are prey animals and dogs are predators. They will never play well together, although they possibly can live a peaceful co-existance. Be sure to supervise your doggie very well for a long time though. Chickens who feel threatened or in danger are chickens living under stress, and stressed hens will stop laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by