1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Quail and Chickens be Incubated Together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JekkaLynn, Mar 7, 2015.

1. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    If you start the quail a few days later can they be incubated with chicken eggs?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If you start with disease free eggs from the finest stock in the land, you can incubate all these eggs together. (disease prevention between the two species) Staggard hatches are possible if you use a hatcher and removed eggs that are in lock down to a hatcher and let the rest of the eggs continue to incubate.

I do not recommend you brood these chicks together however for many reasons from size difference, feed difference, different heat requirements and of course back to the disease issue.

I personally would incubate quail eggs and chicken eggs in two separate incubators, but it can be done.

3. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I plan to hatch in baskets so they won't be interacting and they will be brooded separately. I am already going to be running two small incubators...maybe I will make a cooler bator for hatching them. It depends on time and resources.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by