1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can quail eat meat and table scraps?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SeptemberQuail, Feb 13, 2013.

1. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    We used to have chooks (long, long time ago, I was a little me [​IMG]) and my parents used to feed them table scraps and other stuff, and the table scraps would include meat, noodles, rice, fruit, etc.

I've also heard that chickens can eat fish and even chicken (cannibals :p). Pretty much anything edible.
    I'm just wondering if quail can eat that stuff as well, and can they eat quail also? (I'm not going to feed them that, this is mainly out of curiousity, I don't eat quail but my family does.)

I fed my quail fresh noodles (not instant noodles...) that my brother didn't want to finish and they thought it was worms... It was cute to watch.

I know avocado is a big no no. So what else is poisonous and what else can they eat?

Thanks! :)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sure! Left over meat, veggies, fruits, pasta, berries, etc...is great for them.

As far as toxic things, the list can be long. And much of it is exotic plants, most of which you would never come into contact with either.

But of the human food group....avocado, chocolate, anything with caffeine, uncooked potatoes, the leaves stems and vines of tomatoes are toxic, however the tomato itself is fine. Grapefruit seeds are harmful and most citrus should be fed in moderation only. Mangoes are a bit stringy and might get caught in the crop. I would avoid any cactus.

Generally birds know when something is poisonous and will avoid it as long as they are not starving to death.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Mine love spagetti! And cantaloupe

4. Campine

Campine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Mine sometimes get romaine lettuce, spinach, apples, pears and watermelon.

5. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    How 'bout fish? (Boneless, they might choke on the bones)

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have fed dried krill to my birds and while they did eat some of it, they really weren't too thrilled. But yes, you can feed them fish. :)

7. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Oh, great!
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

8. SCOUT123

SCOUT123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    San Jose, CA

My quails love green grapes (yes, green only), watermelon, cantaloupe, noodles, apples, saltine crackers, and millet! :yiipchick

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. Campine

Campine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    blueberries are a sure hit

10. aperez54

aperez54 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    When can quails start eating table scraps? Do they have to be adults 6+ weeks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by