Can quail survive?

Lunam96

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2022
I live where our extreme cold weather during parts of the winter goes to -40 to -55° C (not the whole winter) probably totals about 2-3w out of the whole winter season. what Would the quail need to survive the winter cold where I live if I build an inclusive in the back yard?

Keeping them outside full time would be difficult. They need a small house were they are completely covered from wind, rain ect. They also need lots of bedding in that small house and were they can be fully lock up at night kind air tight or with a tarp on the door part to keep out wind and they might need a heat lamp if possible. However that can be dangerous with a wooden house. So I would just keep them inside, but if not possible that is what you can do.

What type of quail are they?
I haven't gotten any yet, just wanted to get more info to what I'd need in order to do it. My hubby doesn't like chickens (we do have a small flock) and I'm thinking of getting into quail too, but don't know how much they'll stink in a garage so if I could have them outside that would be ideal..

Bobwhites and Coturnix can live outside, but I'm not sure if they'd survive that temperature - apparently they can stand -20 F at most. Buttonquail (also known as: King Quail, Blue Quail, Chinese Painted Quail) are usually kept indoors, they are smaller.
Maybe keeping quails indoors for the winter would be safer.

I haven't gotten any yet, just wanted to get more info to what I'd need in order to do it. My hubby doesn't like chickens (we do have a small flock) and I'm thinking of getting into quail too, but don't know how much they'll stink in a garage so if I could have them outside that would be ideal..
I have a three tier Wynola Ranch cage in my garage that currently has 19 birds in it. There's a noticeable aroma, but not excessive. I've had over 30 birds in it before with no stink issue. I find what smell there is to be, if not pleasant, at least tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom