Can quail tractors be placed on areas where chickens were?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jessica66, Jul 12, 2019.

1. jessica66

jessica66 In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    Southeast Florida
    I know quail should be kept away from chickens for disease prevention, however if I have the chickens in a tractor that moves weekly, can the quail tractor go in the same area after some time?

What would a safe time be? Weeks, months?

2. J_J_max

J_J_max In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2019
    Idaho
    Would they be with the chickens? Or alone? If they're alone w/o chickens, they'll be fine.

muddy75 likes this.
  3. muddy75

muddy75 Crowing

Aug 17, 2018
    southern indiana
    personally I would move chicken tractor to quail tractor area as chickens cause way more destruction over quail. I personally have housed together temporarily (in large space)

4. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    I would also like to know the answer to this. How long before ground exposed to chickens is safe for game birds to range on?
    It's a question of how long bacteria and viruses are able to survive in the environment...
    I mean as long as there are visible remnants of chicken poop on the ground, surely there is surviving bacteria which could potentially infect quail?

5. jessica66

jessica66 In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    Southeast Florida
    Without

6. jessica66

jessica66 In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    Southeast Florida
    That is actually a really good idea

muddy75 likes this.
  7. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    I don't tractor my poultry but I do raise both chickens and quail. My chickens enjoy my huge, chain-linked fenced yard and the quail are confined in their cages. I use sand & rice husks as litter for my quail, and take their dirt to be dumped out behind a large outbuilding on the property that's about three feet from the chain link fencing. Only thing that grows in that area is thorny weeds. The quail poop (and litter) burns the weeds out of that area, and the chickens turn it regularly to get the leftover feed (quail are VERY messy eaters).
    It seems that the disease factor between quail and chickens is that the chickens can hurt the quail, but not the other way around. I've not had any illnesses associated with allowing my chickens to scavenge after the quail.

muddy75 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: