1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Rabbits Dig Out?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Serenity06, May 7, 2016.

1. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    I have a 4 year old, female, mixed breed rabbit. She's in a raised enclosure witch is inside a pen. I took a picture to give you a better idea.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, I was thinking of making her another hutch directly on the ground. It's already mostly built, I just need to add a shelter and gate. It would be mobile so she could have fresh grass every week or so, and it would be a lot less cleaning for me. The only two things that concern me are...
    1. Theres no bottom. Could she dig out? She's never been on the ground without my supervision for long so I don't know if she would try. If she does... well, I have a dog who would love her for dinner. Which brings me to...
    2. I don't trust my dog with her on the ground. My thought here was to put her in my goat pen where there is plenty of grass because they don't eat it much. (They are two Pygmies) However, being goats, they will likely walk on top of her cage. Will that stress her out? The goats use to be in the pen that contained her other cage. So, she is very used to seeing and hearing them, them chewing on her gates, and trying to get to her food. Anyone with more experience have any thoughts, opinions, advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes rabbits can and will dig burrows and might dig our. I think the goats jumping on her pen might be somewhat stressful..

3. Serenity06

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    What kind of bottom should I put in it to keep her from digging out?

4. taimon01

taimon01 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Banbury
    Put some aviary wire on the bottom as chicken wire can be snapped very easily

5. Serenity06

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    Could I use aany of what I have on hand? Besides chicken wire, I have 1/2" hardware cloth, 1/8" hardware cloth, and 2"Ă—4" welded wire.

6. taimon01

Feb 17, 2013
    Banbury
    I'd say any of them aught to be fine ( sorry from the uk so used to calling it aviary mesh )

7. Serenity06

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    I'll probably use the welded wire so she can easily get to the grass and dirt, but still not get out. I don't know what to do about the goats...

8. taimon01

Feb 17, 2013
    Banbury
    You could just stack hay / straw bales on top of the hutch and then cover it with tarpaulin to prevent it from spoiling

9. Serenity06

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama

That's actually a good idea. So even if the goats got on the hay it wouldn't be noisy. It would also help her feel more secure, and not out in the open. I would probably use already spoiled, or scrap hay so I wouldn't have to worry about covering it. Thank you. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  10. FluffyWyandot

FluffyWyandot Chillin' With My Peeps

What i did was bury a sheet of chicken wire about 3 feet down, so they can dig for roots, but not escape

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by