1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

can rabbits eat meat bird chicken feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaketheeggman, Jul 28, 2011.

1. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chirping

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    I was thinking about getting 3 rabbits to raise for meat. I was wondering since i already have meat chickens can i feed my rabbits the chicken meat maker feed? Or do i have to buy rabbit pellets?

any help would be appreciated
    jake

2. PikeCo

PikeCo In the Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    I wouldn't try it. Rabbit feed is primarily grass based, chicken feed is primarily corn and soy. I don't think it would be a good idea. Our rabbits are on Showrite. It is 17% protein and costs about $16/bag for a 40 lb. bag. You can get rabbit pellets cheaper than that though. I don't even know if they could live on a chicken ration. Rabbit feed doesn't cost that much. I would just use what is intended for them.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I agree. Corn is not particularly good for rabbits and I'm sure the nutrient levels would be off. I use Purina Show and it's $15 for a 50 pound bag. They have cheaper stuff too, I think about $13 for a 50 pound bag. I would feed them rabbit food and you can also feed them greens from your garden or neighborhood.

4. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chirping

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    Thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by