Can rabbits eat sunflower seeds?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kuntrygirl, Dec 23, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I was out late last night in my feed storage building filling up buckets to take to the feeders for all of my animals and I had prepared a bucket of rabbit pellets for my rabbits. Well, I set a scoop of BOSS (sunflower seeds for my chickens) in the bucket with the rabbits to get it out of the way. When I went to pick up the scoop of sunflower seeds, it fell out of my hand into the bucket of rabbit pellets. I was so mad. [​IMG] So, my question is....... can rabbits eat sunflower seeds (hull and seed) or do I have to pick out every single sunflower seed out of the bucket of rabbit pellets because they can't eat sunflower seeds?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It won't hurt them, i have tame rabbits running loose around my place and they eat them as well as other scratch i give as treats my flocks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Your rabbits are beautiful! Beautiful pic!!! Your rabbits run loose? Please tell me more. How does that work? Just last night one of my relatives was telling me that I should let my rabbits run lose around he yard. I was like, "yea, oooooooook". What kind of area are they in? Do you lock them up at night? [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Some people feed BOSS to almost everything - horses, cows, goats, rabbits and on.

I think a little for your Buns would be great for them.

My horses will even eat it - shell and all - I tell them they are crazy! [​IMG]

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yes sunflower seeds are fine, but they're very fattening [​IMG]

Your rabbits will like them, just don't make it a daily part

of their food. If you look at some of the Lower-quality rabbit

food diets at the petstore, you'll notice some of them have

bits of seeds and sunflower seeds in them. [​IMG]

-Becca

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    When I had rabbits I would let them out in the yard all day or in the garden. Then I'd put them back in their hutch at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by