Can raccoons 'fly'?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gabby3535, Mar 21, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with raccoons being able to jump across a 3-4 foot airspace?
    (Just for clarification.........could a coon climb up my free standing barn (no trees around it either), climb onto the roof,
    and leap thru the air onto the flight netting of my run, 3-4 feet away?!?!)
    Or...........would they be likely to climb a tree and climb out onto a branch, to leap thru the air onto the
    netting, from the other side of the run?

Would they be likely to do that sort of thing, or are they just climbers (up the side of the run itself), vs leapers!?

2. Chic's Chickens

Chic's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    I read this book by Temple Gardin, (Animals Make Us Human) she claims that raccoons are smarter than dogs, pigs and maybe even whales.... I would not be surprised at there agility.

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I would doubt it....but nothing a coon accomplishes would surprise me!

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Coons are smart I caught one picking a hook and eye latch. They can jump and are great climbers
    Never underestimate a coon

5. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I don't think a coon would climb up the side of your barn but it probobly could climb out on a branch and jump in the netting.

6. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    racoons are the ninja warriors of the predator world. I would not be surprised by anything a racoon would do. Good luck.

7. cluck1

cluck1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Raccoons are very smart one time I saw one and it ran into the side yard and my friend through a oreo cookie at it and then we through a baseball in there and it through the Oreo back at us

8. geepster

geepster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Hillsboro, OH
    If by 'fly' you mean from the top of a tree to the ground; then yeah, but they are not very good at it in my opinion [​IMG] Remington, coon, gravity=bad outlook for coon.

9. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    im sure they can,t(fly) but as a former coon hunter with years of experience I can tell you that I have had them to jump from trees to the ground at a height of 40 feet or more,raccoons are vicious animals ,its their nature to be mean,pound for pound raccoons are one of the most powerful animals on earth,don,t never under estimate a raccoon,it takes a very smart dog to whip a coon,they seem to be cold blooded ruthless killers when it comes to killing chickens,in the wild their beutiful,and seem tame at times,,

10. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    Racoons are scaling up to a second floor porch at the farm I keep my chickens at. If its wood the can climb it . They do climb trees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by