1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can raccoons get through 1" by 1/2" hardware cloth flooring?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Scooter&Suzie, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I currently have some 1 1/2 week old coturnix quail in a rabbit hutch. The bottom is 1" by 1/2" hardware cloth. The quail's legs can definitely fit through if tugged, so, question, will a raccoon be able to reach in and pull off the legs?

The hutch has a secure area in it (wood on the sides, and a solid flooring area (made with cardboard and the smoother side of old shingles - I was inventive) with pine shavings that I lock them into at night, so currently the are safe. I'd just like to get to the point where I can house the quail completely on wire.

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft Previously RavynFallen Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I think they can reach in a 1" gap, but not totally sure... definitely they could put their fingers through and trap a foot to tug on... if you have that bad of a coon issue in your area I would suggest either replacing the bottom with 1/4" hardware cloth or attach panels around the legs of the hutch to enclose the entire lower section under the wire flooring... you can make the panels removable for easy cleaning... just a thought... :)

3. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, I have some 1/2" by 1/2" hardware cloth. I've heard that is what people like to use for coturnix so thst their droppings go right through. That should work, right?

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 13, 2011
    A raccoon can reach up and pull toes and legs through the wire. Nasty!!! Use a solid floor, and generally make things very secure. Mary

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Quote:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you can reach a few fingers in, a racoon can get a whole arm in.

7. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I guess I'll be putting something else under it! I have to wonder if all the other people who use wire have a problem.

8. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    My personal assumption is I think it would be safe to use

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  10. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Rats and coons will bite feet and toes off through any wire. Use hardware cloth for sides and solid bottom.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by