Can raccoons...?

becky_animals

Chirping
Feb 25, 2019
Does anyone know - can a raccoon cling to the underside of a wire shelf for long enough to climb over it? What I'm trying to describe is a 2x4 welded wire "shelf" installed horizontally about 5' off the ground (not sure what I'll support it with yet - L brackets of some sort), at 90 degrees to the side of the chicken run fencing, and sticking out about 2 feet. Could a coon climb the run fence and then cling to the bottom of this shelf thing for long enough to get over it and into the run?
Thanks!

Does anyone know - can a raccoon cling to the underside of a wire shelf for long enough to climb over it? What I'm trying to describe is a 2x4 welded wire "shelf" installed horizontally about 5' off the ground (not sure what I'll support it with yet - L brackets of some sort), at 90 degrees to the side of the chicken run fencing, and sticking out about 2 feet. Could a coon climb the run fence and then cling to the bottom of this shelf thing for long enough to get over it and into the run?
Thanks!
Always assume the answer is yes, when the question is "Can a coon xxxxxx?"

I've had a full grown coon actually squeeze through a 2x4 welded wire before. It was able to bow out the 2" part and basically make a hole big enough for its skull.

Coons can climb and will too. So if what you are describing is what I'm visioning...
get over it and into the run?
Then there is an opening in the roof of the run a coon can fit through. Is that correct?

Always assume the answer is yes, when the question is "Can a coon xxxxxx?"

This is exactly what I thought when I read the post title. :D :D

They can do practically anything! Especially if it involves leaping, climbing, clinging, opening, and all else manner to snatch food. They're not only trash pandas but also trash panda ninjas!

This is exactly what I thought when I read the post title. :D :D

They can do practically anything! Especially if it involves leaping, climbing, clinging, opening, and all else manner to snatch food. They're not only trash pandas but also trash panda ninjas!
I have no love for coon, at all. They get long term vacations around here. I do have an overwhelming large amount of respect though. Those things are smart, agile, and yes, freaking ninjas.

Thanks!

Absolutely. I've hunted coons for many yrs when I was younger, and their pelts were worth something.
I've seen them run upside down along a ridge beam in a barn much faster than you'd think a 20lb coon should be able to.

What can a racoon do.....the better question is what can’t a racoon do. Raccoons are so quick, cunning and stealthy they put the CIA yo shame. Raccoons are so agile and and efficient they could beet John Wick and Jackie Chan in a duo.
If you want to outsmart a racoon I would recommend you start thinking of them like genius’s with an IQ three times that if your own.
-locks On all the doors (raccoons will quickly figure out carabiners and quick releases)
- Electric fencing
-Hardware cloth (A racoon will rip open Chicken Wire like a paper bag)
- you strong building materials (thin boards and even metal roofing can be surpassed by the right coon)
-when possible use screws not nails (I’ve seen a family of coons work together to pry boards off a coop)
- consider laying Stone and or cement pads around and under the coop( raccoons will dig)
Don’t even think you’ve outsmarted a coon they will always find a way to circumvent your defenders It’s important to stay vigilant and not become complacent otherwise you may fall victim

Back
Top Bottom