Can ringneck doves live outside?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by PrinceSandwich, Aug 6, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Can ringneck doves live outside? I live in Canada so it gets pretty cold here in the winter time.

2. dlc

dlc New Egg

Aug 21, 2010
    I live in the Central Valley of California and I have doves outdoors. However, when the temps get down to 28 degrees F. I put a heat lamp in their cage. I think you could keep them outdoors in summer, but I would definitely bring them indoors in the winter. Or build a well insulated shed with heat to keep them in winter. Also, keep in mind their water would freeze in winter.

3. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    depending on what part of canada you probly can. I live on the new hampshire border, which probably seems near tropical to you... and i keep mine outside all year long, we usually get a week of 25*F below zero. If you had enough of them in a tight enough coop (they're particularly sensitive to drafts. then its doable, a heat lamp would probably be necessary. If you could take them in the house for the winter that might be a better option.

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My diamond doves live outside all year,but I poly their whole enclosure.If wild doves can survive,I'm sure ringnecks can.You can have them inside in the summer and then put them outside,they have to climatize.So leave them outside all year long.Give them a place to get out of the elements,like a shed.Most all birds will climatize as long as they are given time to do so.
    95yj I to am on the Ma border in Seabrook,N.H.What town are you in?
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    I'm in Groton, its right on the border of Nashua. I go to the NAS swaps alot so I've probably seen you there.

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm sure I have seen you there.I have been a member for at least 20 years.I think I may be the last one there selling pheasants.Don't forget,it's the second sun this month on the 12th.
    In N.H.,Tony.

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    All of mine are outside. Just make sure they have a place to get out of any cold drafts, and the perches need to be wide enough so that they don't have to curl their toes around it. This way, they can sit on their feet to warm them and prevent frostbite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by