Can RIR have feathered legs??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by opihiman911, Feb 19, 2008.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I just finished hatching out some barred rocks and what I was told RIR eggs. I got 2 RIR chicks and one of them has feathers on its legs.
    I have raised many RIR over the years but never seen one with leg featherings. It looks like all my other RIR chicks before except for the leg feathering. Is it a RIR? If not then any guesses?

Aloha,
    Cory

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm guessing a RIR can have feathered legs. They ought not have feathered legs though.

I think it's with like any breed, you get your 1/10th of 1% anomolies expressing themselves over large samples.

3. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    RIR's do not have feathered legs. Unless they have something mixed in their bloodlines.[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A recessive gene can pop out from WAY back in the bloodlines, so it could be many, many generations back that a feather legged bird got in there. I had a purebred Ameraucana with some minor feather stubs on its legs. Surprised the heck out of me, too. Only one.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:I had one of those too, last spring. It turned out to be a male, so he went to heaven feathered legged and all.

6. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    I can tell you that the male in poultry carries the feather legged gene. And I agree with what was stated,.....this could have been from bloodlines that were bred into the birds generations ago and are just now popping up in these birds. And again, they could just be crossed with something as well.

~Casey

7. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

but they HATCHED ... ! glad for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by