Can roosters get along?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Fairy Godmartyr, Nov 17, 2010.

1. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I currently have 12 chickens, three of which are silkies. My hopes when I ordered them was that I would get at least one hen. I'm pretty sure that's what I got--one hen. I know for sure that one of the others is a roo, and I suspect that the other is (although he isn't quite as big and has never crowed). So far, the two don't seem to have any issues with each other, but I'm assuming that will change, right? At what age would they start being aggressive with each other (they were both hatched on June 14th)? With ten hens, is there a chance that they would tolerate each other? They don't free range (too many loose dogs, hawks, racoons, foxes, and coyotes in my neighborhood) so they can't get away from each other.

I'm trying to decide whether I should wait and see how things go, or start working on a home for one of them now.

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have 30 chickens, at least 6 are roosters. Some are from the July hatch but there are 3 that I got in June and were I think around 8 weeks old. They have their scrapes but are doing well now that the pecking order has been established. So far so good and I am waiting to see if I need to eat a few of the roosters. But I am hoping not to because I am really liking the older roosters- and they would be the ones to go as they don't have girls that are in their breed.

3. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Since they're both silkies, you may be ok... hopefully their bangs will keep them from noticing each other [​IMG] I have Cochins, and though they are a very docile breed, I had one cochin roo escape his enclosure and beat up my other cochin roo really badly. My poor guy lost an eye in the fight. Came home from the store to find my poor roo hiding in a corner all bloodied up. Hopefully someone with experience with silkies will have more insight than I do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by