Can roosters kill each other even with no spurs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I have three boys out in our flock that are brothers from same hatch...obviously doesn't matter though bc I came home today and my favorite was on is dying leg :(...It definetly looked like he was battered and beaten instead of anything else getting him...my other roo acted tired like he just fought and I even saw him once go over and try and jump on him again :/ but I quickly yelled and he got off and walked off...my question is...is this Normal? Could he definetly do it with no spurs?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes they can and do kill without using spurs.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Yes

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think impacts from wings and bill cause more damage than spurs. Note swelling of heads and neck on combatants. Under normal conditions, spurs are more of a scratching rather than impaling weapon. Occasionally spurs are involved in damage to eyes.

5. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Ok, :( I pretty much thought that but I guess I didn't want to believe that brothers kill each other...lol, poor guy...I can't believe people fight them for fun, I didn't even see the fight but he looked so badly beaten it was aweful...now to rehouse the other cause I'm afraid he will fight again

6. chinzilla

chinzilla Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    YIKES! [​IMG]

I hope your favorite gets better!

I'm fearing the rooster fighting as well - how old are they, if you don't mind me asking? We have two roosters and so far so good but I'm worried they are going to start fighting. [​IMG]

7. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    Good luck re-homing him :) I hope your other roo gets better!!!

8. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    We had to put him down :( he was too far beaten...head trauma and his leg or hip was injured where he couldnt stand, it was bad :/ Poor guy...

They Are six, almost seven months old....one coronation Sussex mix with EE, the one gone...and one mixed with austrolorp

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am not used to birds dying from fighting so long after event. Are you certain fighting was primary problem? Could a bird have been sick before fighting started or possibly been mauled my something?

10. OnewChook

OnewChook Chillin' With My Peeps

That's the sad reality! Most Cocks and Roo's will fight to THE DEATH over one hen. Mother nature taking her toll! I would split them during the day or have the injured one in the Coop while the others are out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by