can roosters sense which hens are most fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2overeasy, Jul 13, 2011.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I have a flock of 15 laying hens and 2 roosters (this count doesn't include the 9 pullets who haven't yet reached POL). It is obvious that many of the hens get alot of action: the 2 BRs, 4 of the 5 golden comets, 2 of the 3 EEs, both white cochins, and the BO. However, the white crested polish, the splash andalusian, 1 comet and 1 EE don't ever get any action. The roosters don't chase them. Granted, of course, I could miss things, although I do watch them alot. But they all have perfect feathers and certainly don't look like the other hens with their poor bald backs!
    Do roosters sense fertility, or do they maybe simply have taste preferences?

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

They jump on the ones that are most receptive. I saw my roo miss twice trying to get a young pullet his age but not yet laying. He has enough receptive ladies that it didn't matter.

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, well at least I've heard, when the female's comb becomes even more red than usual, then the roo better knows who and when. However, I'm sure there is more to it, but they know.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
  5. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    ok i just read on this page the answer to ur question, it is titled Can a rooster sence pheremones? i hope it helps!!!

God bless!!!

<3 lucyboo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by