1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can roosters sex chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redoak, Oct 31, 2008.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Can roosters tell the sex of a chick? Back in August we bought 3 Easter-Egger day old pullets. Oliver and Leo our 2 roosters always ignored two of the chicks, but at any chance they would try to kill the third chick (Penny), that turned out to be a rooster. They would even try to peck Penny from the other side of the chicken wire. Anyone else had any experiences like this? Can hens and roosters sex day old chicks?

2. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Great question... I have no idea but maybe someone does.

3. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i'm sure they can. probably?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know, I have abnormal roos anyway, they share nest duty with the ladies and help take care of the babies. I caught Little Foots and Snowball with the baby ducks under their wings this morning.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I think maybe they could. I have saw some roos and hens act a certin way towards one chick who turned out to be a roo. So yeah maybe they can!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I wish I knew!!! We have Stepford chickens - the do everything very orderly. 6 10 week olds are in with them now and have been for 2 weeks and the roo ignores all of them.

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    My roo tries to help take care of the babies and even lets them eat his food like the hens.

8. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    i have no idea, but male and female crows and robins can tell each other apart

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by