Can Roosters turn into Hens? pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Aug 6, 2011.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey I have this old OEGB rooster who has been changing over the past few months. It almost looks like he's turning into a hen. His comb has been getting smaller, and his feathers are turning the color of a female's. I heard that hens could turn into roosters, but never heard the other way around. Here are some pics...

In this pic you can see how small his comb has gotten...
    [​IMG]

In these pics you can see his wing feathers turning the color of a female's...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this pic you can see his chest feathers turning the color of a females...
    [​IMG]

Here are picsof one of my hens for reference...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are some pics of the what the rooster USED TO LOOK LIKE (this is his son)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do any of yall have any opinions? Is he turning into a hen? Or do roosters just change like this when they get old??
    Thanks.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    He is just getting old. Like us old men, roosters also wither as they age. One day all the hens are telling you how fine you are and then before you know it they are telling you how handsome your son is.

Chickens don't morph into a different sex, although it is quite common for a hen to assume an extremely dominant position in a flock without a rooster. They will exhibit postures and attitude commonly associated with roosters and some even crow, rather poorly but still a crow.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    yup... those are just his gray hairs...

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    Quote:x2

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  5. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    how old is he though? I had an 8 year old rooster that didnt do that. What about a nutritional deficiency?

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    testicular tumor or tumor that excretes female hormones would do this.

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I just gave a way a hen, that turned into a rooster at 6-1/2 months. [​IMG] I don't think I like late bloomers!!! Now I need a new hen for the cockerel it was paired with!!!

Seriously, I'm not ignorant, there was no comb, no wattles, no hackles, no saddles, no sickles, no crowing for over 6 months!!! "Her" name was Venus before we found out, since then, we've changed out a letter to make a different name......

1 person likes this.
  8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:jaskdl;fjs;kdfjsd;klfjsdklfja;skl!!!!...

LOL...

9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Don't want to shock you but: chickens can change gender.
    Hens can become roosters, and on very few occasions they can even be fertile as a rooster!

But I am pretty sure a rooster-turn-hen will not lay eggs.

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am shocked. Do you have references?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by