Can Sevin liquid be sprayed on my birds?

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
I read on here that they are not going to make Sevin dust anymore, and when I checked at the Walmart, they no longer had it.
Is the liquid safe to use on my birds? I would think the ingredients are the same, so it SHOULD be ok, but I want to be sure. Anyone know?

And will DE kill any bugs that might be on my birds, or is it more of a preventative?

Last edited:

TammyTX

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
If your chicken lays your breakfast, do you really want your breakfast provider covered with poison?

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
I don't think it would work as well as the dust. It's easier to get the dust into their skin...you'd have to soak them down with it I'd think to get the liquid down to their skin. I don't think I'd use the liquid.

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
Quote:I'll have to check the one in Olathe. Maybe they still have some, too!

Edited for punctuation

Last edited:

NotTheMomma

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Virginia is for Chick Lovers!
I don't know if you have a Southern States dealer or not, but they are still selling their brand of it. Exact same ingredients as Sevin dust, and I was able to get both the 5% and 10% there.

As far as eating eggs after dusting a chicken, SURE I WILL! Heck, Sevin dust is put on the VEGGIES and then eaten!

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
Quote:We don't have that store here

And yea, that's kind of what I thought about it's safety. If it's safe for vegetables we eat, why not eggs? Just didn't know if the liquid had any different ingredients, or would be absorbed differently by the hen.

charlielynnsingletary

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
pearl river,la
I'm having the same problem here with not being able to get the dust. The old farmer at the feed store said to mix it in a sprayer and spray it under their feathers. I haven't tried it yet.

Top Bottom