Can Sevin liquid be sprayed on my birds?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kansaseq, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I read on here that they are not going to make Sevin dust anymore, and when I checked at the Walmart, they no longer had it.
    Is the liquid safe to use on my birds? I would think the ingredients are the same, so it SHOULD be ok, but I want to be sure. Anyone know?

And will DE kill any bugs that might be on my birds, or is it more of a preventative?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. TammyTX

TammyTX Crowing

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    If your chicken lays your breakfast, do you really want your breakfast provider covered with poison?

[​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't think it would work as well as the dust. It's easier to get the dust into their skin...you'd have to soak them down with it I'd think to get the liquid down to their skin. I don't think I'd use the liquid.

4. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Thanks, Katy.
    I appreciate help.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Our TSC still has it here.

6. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:I'll have to check the one in Olathe. Maybe they still have some, too!

Edited for punctuation [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. I don't know if you have a Southern States dealer or not, but they are still selling their brand of it. Exact same ingredients as Sevin dust, and I was able to get both the 5% and 10% there.

As far as eating eggs after dusting a chicken, SURE I WILL! Heck, Sevin dust is put on the VEGGIES and then eaten!

8. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Songster

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    The generic dust is called carbaryl and Southern States carries it [​IMG]

9. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:We don't have that store here [​IMG]

And yea, that's kind of what I thought about it's safety. If it's safe for vegetables we eat, why not eggs? Just didn't know if the liquid had any different ingredients, or would be absorbed differently by the hen.

10. charlielynnsingletary

charlielynnsingletary Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    pearl river,la
    I'm having the same problem here with not being able to get the dust. The old farmer at the feed store said to mix it in a sprayer and spray it under their feathers. I haven't tried it yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: