Can sex-link coloring be wrong?!?!!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coffeelady3, Sep 21, 2008.

1. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Is the sex-link coloring a sure thing? I have a black sex-link whose coloring definitely says that it's a girl, but Dang, those wattles are huge! Not to mention the pointy neck feathers and the fact that she's a BIG girl. I'm confused. Any opinions? Her age is iffy. I got her from the feed store the end of May, but she's always been bigger then her barred rock sister. She may have been a week old or so when I got her. That would put her around 4 months. There's no crowing, but she tends to growl at me when I get home from work. (A pretty freaky sound, I must say!)

Here's a shot of those wattles.

[​IMG]

And here's a body shot.

[​IMG]

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any roosters? Sometimes a hen will rise up and be dominate since there are no boys around. Or she may just be getting ready to lay. She looks just fine to me! I have some BSL myself. They are great layers!

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Looks like a girl to me! I bet those pointy neck feathers are like the ones my EE has, they look pointy because of their coloring, but they really are blunt if you get up close and look. If she is was hatched the last of May she would still be about 17wks, a rooster would have much bigger comb and wattles at that age.

4. coffeelady3

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Nope, no roosters. We're all city girls here. No boys allowed. If she wasn't a sex-link I would have thought she was a rooster for sure!

5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Looks like a pullet to me, she is pretty!

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Definitely a pullet. I just asked if my Black sex-link was a Roo because of her large comb and wattles. I then learned that they are color coded! [​IMG] I'd totally forgotten that's what sex-linking is all about.

Anyway, here's a picture of my 4 month old girl....

[​IMG]

Amazing huh?

7. coffeelady3

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:That makes me feel a whole lot better! [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Just so you know, our black sex link has a HUGE floppy comb, and wattles too. But it is denfintely a she. Or my roo is homosexual. [​IMG]

9. coffeelady3

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here is a pic of our Black Sex link.

She is WONDERFUL... the first to lay eggs in our flock and she just loves to be held and spoiled.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by